It’s been a minute since I posted on the blog but there’s been so much going on behind the scenes – most notably the launch (finally!) of my online shop. Baby blankets are my absolute faves to crochet. I designed the baby belle blanket while I was pregnant with my second baby, which makes this pattern even more special.
The blanket size is customisable, so you can make it smaller or larger. So, let’s get this show on the road, shall we?
Supplies & tools:
- Caron one pound or any aran weight yarn
- Size J (6.0mm) crochet hook
- Darning/tapestry needle
Ch – chain
Hdc – half double crochet
Dc – double crochet
Rep – repeat
Sp – space
St – stitch
Sts – stitches
Tr – triple crochet
Skill level: Intermediate
Gauge: 12 hdc = 4 inches (gauge is not critical)
Finished size: 31.5 x 26.5 inches
- Pattern is written in US standard terms
- Ch4 at the beginning of row 12 counts as tr throughout
- Gauge is not critical and the size of your blanket will depend on how you crochet
- You can adjust the size of the blanket (less wide or wider) by casting on a multiple of 3 stitches. To make the blanket longer, repeat row 2-17 more than the two times called for in the pattern, until you reach about 5 inches before your desired height. Don’t forget you’ll need more yarn!
With size J (6.0mm) crochet hook, ch 78 sts
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn (76)
Row 2: Ch2, skip first hdc, hdc in next st and each st across, ending 1hdc in turning ch2 (76)
Row 3-10: Repeat row 2
Row 11: Ch3, dc in first hdc and each hdc across, turn
Row 12: Ch4 (counts as tr here and throughout), skip first 3dc, tr in next dc, ch1; working in front of the last tr, tr in second skipped dc, *skip next 2dc, tr in next dc, ch1; working in front of last tr, tr in first skipped dc. Repeat from *across, ending with tr in top of turning ch3, turn
Row 13: Ch3 (counts as dc here and throughout), skip first tr, *3dc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * across, ending with dc in top of turning ch4, turn
Row 14: Rep row 12
Row 15: Rep row 13
Row 16: Ch3, skip first dc, *dc in next dc and each dc across; rep from *across, ending with dc in top of ch-3 turn
Row 17: Ch2, skip first dc, *hdc in next dc and each dc across; rep from *across, ending hdc in top of ch-3 turn
Repeat row 2-17 twice
Repeat row 2-10 once; at end of row 10, turn and ch1
You will now work the base round for the blanket border
- Base round on each side: Sc around the blanket in a multiple of 2 + 1, add 1 sc to each corner. Join with slip st to first sc (sample blanket had 77 scs on short side and 97 scs on long side)
- (Sc, ch 3, sc) in first st, *(sc, ch3, sc) in next st, [skip 1 st, (sc, ch3, sc) in next st] to corner st **, (sc, ch3, sc) in corner st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with slip st to first sc
Fasten off, weave in ends and you’re done!
I love seeing your finished project, please tag me in your photos on social media:
Facebook: Handmade by Kunbi
Happy crocheting lovelies!